Pages

Tuesday 22 November 2011

GlossyBox November 2011: First Impressions

Hey lovelies, 
I won't bore you with the wrapping and presentation of the box, 
which was perfect as always, so look above if you'd like to see.

Now on to the box itself, 
there's been a lot of very vocal feedback about the contents of this month's box, 
and I can't say I'm surprised, 
No Make-Up? Seriously?!
This month's Glossybox's theme was, 
"The Christmas Gift-Guide: Part 1. 5 Products to try before you buy (whether for yourself or others)".
 Here's the box I received:
Oh, Glossybox, I'm not angry, just disappointed. 
I've recommended so many of my friends to sign up, with promises of Nars, HD Brows, and OPI, 
and I have to say I'm a little embarrassed. 
The box looks so empty.

Have a peek below for a more detailed view of the contents.
Left to Right: Philip Kingsley Elasticizer, Nail Rock Designer Nail Wraps, Dead Sea Spa Magik Delicate Boosting Mask, Arbonne Ultra Hydrating Hand Creme, Illamasqua Freak Eau De Parfum.

 Philip Kingsley Elasticizer: 40ml, £4.20 (Full size 500ml, £52.50)
GlossyBox Say: "Intensive, super-moisturizing pre-shampoo treatment for all hair types. Adds elasticity, manageability, bounce and shine".
I say: The only product I was 'wowed' by from this box. Although I don't have damaged hair, I love taking care of it, so I'm excited to give this a try. I've never tried a Pre-Shampoo Treatment, and Philip Kingsley Elasticizer is hyped to be the best of the best, so I'll let you know how I get on. There is bound to be some disappointment this month, as some people received a Moisturiser/Bath Salts/Foot Cream instead of this, so I'm really glad my box contained this gem.

 Arbonne Ultra Hydrating Hand Creme: 15ml, £2.40 (Full Size 118ml, £19.00)
GlossyBox Say: "Soothing creme moisturises hands, leaving a healthy appearance and skin feeling smooth and refreshed".
I say: I'd usually scoff at a hand cream, but I'm actually glad they included this. As I said, I'm not really fond of hand creams, and as a result, I don't own one. But as the weather gets windier, my hands have been craving moisture. This cream is light and fruity, so more of a day cream. Perfect for you handbag, though hands in need of more help may prefer a creamier texture.

 Dead Sea Magik Delicate Boosting Mask: 25ml, £2.90 (Full Size 75ml, £8.80)
GlossyBox Say: "A creamy mask containing pure Dead Sea Mud in a gentle formulation, showing immediate and remarkable results".
I say: Not had a chance to try this mask out yet, but you all know I love a good face mask, so I can guarantee it will be used. Again, this item was a 'luck of a draw' type, and I much prefer this to bath salts. One thing I am a bit miffed about is that the brand 'Dead Sea Magik has been used in GlossyBox before, and isn't the whole idea of GlossyBox to try something new?

 Illamasqua Freak Eau De Parfum: 1.5ml, £1.18, though free samples can be obtained from counters, (Full Size 75ml, £59)
GlossyBox Say: "Celebrate the night with Freak, the dangerously exotic first fragrance from the cult British beauty brand, Illamasqua".
I say: Normally I feel a bit short-changed by perfume samples, and yes, you can get this for free at counters, but I love this fragrance! It has a spray nozzle, which I prefer, and at 1.5ml, I'll stick it in my handbag for a quick refresher. The fragrance is not as over-powering as I was led to believe, but it is still strong. I was worried that, considering the fragrance is meant to be Unisex, it was too flowery and feminine to be worn by men. So after a quick spray and sniff some rigorous testing by the boyfriend, he confirmed it does indeed, and I quote, "Smell like a man, a bit 'lynxy'". On the bright side, the fragrance appeals to both sexes, but as, at least in my experience, we wear perfume to appeal to the opposite sexes, it might not be what you're looking for.

Nail Rock Designer Nail Wraps: Red Lace, 16 Nail Wraps (Full Size, £6.65)
GlossyBox Say: "The new Nail Rock wrap range is designed to last up to 7 days on nails and 8 weeks on the toes. They won't chip or stain the nail, require no drying time and deliver on trend in just 15 minutes".
I say: Yet again, another repeat product (though this time by a different brand). I've yet to use Nail Wraps, as the last set I received were plain black, and a bit boring. I really like this design, and will definitely give them a go, although as a Nail Art fan I know I will miss painting my own nails. However I do see why they would appeal to a lesser experienced nail fan.

Total Amount Spent:
£12.95
Total Worth of Box:
£17.33

This box is definitely more of a grower than an instant 'wow', 
as I've had a closer look at the products, I have warmed to the box. 
I can honestly say that I will use every product from the box, 
which I've not been able to say from some of the previous boxes. 

This box is also the least 'value for money' box yet, (saving only £4.38), 
though to be fair, you are still getting more than you paid for. 
Considering last month's box didn't have a great reception either, 
GlossyBox really need to pull out something special for the December, 
or they will be losing a lot of subscribers in the New Year. 

Personally I'd love to see GlossyBox go back to it's roots, 
High-End Luxury products, with more make-up and some cheeky full sizes. 
With new rivals Carmine, Boudoir Prive and Feel Unique gaining more fans, 
GlossyBox can't afford to be complacent.


What did you think of this month's box? 
Will you continue to subscribe?
If you would like to subscribe to GlossyBox, then please click here.

M x

This post is not sponsored or affiliated with GlossyBox in any way. The product's were bought with my own money and opinions are my honest own.

5 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Agree with your comments like you say still getting more for your money and i am still happy with what i got wearing my perfume and using my hand cream today. But see where you're coming from and i actually did cancel my subscription last nite after deciding i've not been amazed by more than one product a month. guna give boudoir prive a go i think

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got a good box, im pleased with mine too, i like to hear peoples opinions, especially the ones who have paid for it with their own money and not got it for free.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sooooo disappointed with this months box and have been for a few of the boxes so i cancelled my subscription as i was waiting until the new year to anyway but was so annoyed i cancelled early and joined latest in beauty monthly box instead which is cheaper so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first impressions of the box werent great either. I didnt open it and say "ooo!" like i have before, it was more of a "ohhh, hmmm". Im hoping the christmas suprise we have been promised makes up for this months box.

    Holli x
    Dragonmommy123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nanna Kate, I totally get what you mean, even though you are getting more that you paid for, you are still only saving £4, hardly worth writing home about? I've heard good things about Feel Unique, if you're a make-up girl like me :)

    @Sparkly Beauty Blog, what a lovely comment, I like to think I'm honest but fair, it's my pennies after all :P

    @Hayley86Bright, Me too, not cancelled yet, I've been with GlossyBox since June, and apart from the last 2 boxes, have been over the moon with them. They have one more chance to pull out something amazing in December, or I'm off. Let me know how you get on with Latest in Beauty :)

    @Dragon Mommy, I felt exactly the same way, no WOW moment, sigh. December better be surprises aplenty :)

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hey Lovely,
Please feel free to comment :)
I read all of them and I do a little dance inside everytime I get a new one.
If you would like a direct reply, then please email:
beautytothemax@hotmail.co.uk
You are the reason I write this blog and I love to hear your views.
M x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...